go through the fire

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Ministry

This past weekend, an acapella choir from York Christian University came to Mito City and the surrounding area to perform. I never realized it until this weekend, but Japanese people really, really love acapella music. Both of the shows that I attended were almost sold out, and they were performed in big auditoriums! The York choir came on invitation from the Sendai mission team and church and they have been touring several cities throughout the Eastern part of the main island for about two weeks now. If I remember correctly, they are supposed to do about 9 performances altogether.
Well, anyways, I saw two of their performances this last weekend, and I must say that they are very, very good. It was amazing to hear their beautiful voices, to admire their God-given talents, and to listen to many great songs to God mostly in English (some were in Latin and other romance languages). But the most amazing thing was to see the effect the performances had on the Japanese people. I was going to invite the Iitomi community center woman that I have English conversation classes with, but they showed me the flier and asked if I were going. Of course I was going and we all had the time of our lives together! One of the women took a long while to translate into English that she "was deeply moved". They especially loved the gospel songs.
So here is my big callout to anyone who reads this blog or speaks to people who have even a small stirring on their heart to do some form of mission work. Come to Japan! These people need you. If you can do an accapella music tour, come do it in Japan. If you are in a gospel music singing group, come to Japan and do a tour. (Of course I mean come do a musical tour only if you are doing it for the Lord and only if you don't suck :-P ). If you want to do Let's Start Talking, come do it in Japan. Everybody wants to learn English here. Come teach English for the Lord. And if you can't do anything but still have it on your heart to go out and do something for God, pray to God (first, because even God can do miracles and use you in some way) and then come to Japan. Even if you don't come to Japan, get off your butt and just do what you know God has called you to do.
I just realized how much some simple accapella songs can really touch people's hearts and even cause them to ask questions about our wonderful Creator. God uses so many simple things to speak to us in our complex lives. If Japanese people can hear Him, anybody can. How can God use you/us/me right here, right now, today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home