go through the fire

Thursday, July 14, 2005

English Interactive Forum



This is a pretty bad picture, but I wanted you to see some of my Junior High students and the English teacher that I have taught with since I came here. I am proud of all of my students, but I am especially proud of these four. Today they stepped out of their comfort zone to have group conversations IN ENGLISH ONLY at the Mito City English Interactive Forum. Now, if you know anything about the Japanese, it is a pretty big step for most out of that good 'ol comfort zone and into the world of English conversation all by yourself, in front of your peers, and in front of two judges - one of whom is a native English speaker. Actually, it's more like a huge leap off of a big cliff.
But four of my students - two eight graders and two ninth graders - made that huge leap (mostly because my English teacher told them they had too) and went through 3 five minute rounds each of English conversation. Of course the English teachers and I practiced with the students (even if it was only a few), so they were somewhat prepared. But it is still difficult and nerve-racking for them. Sometimes the English conversations are funny simply because they are so nervous. One of my 8th grade boys was in a conversation group with two girls. The girls were talking about school uniforms and went on for a good couple of minutes about how they didn't like theirs because they were too long and they liked short skirts better, etc. Then they both looked at him and asked him what he thought about skirts. He gave them this look and said, "I am a man! I don't have skirts!"
Well, even it isn't funny for you, I and the whole room had a good laugh. I am proud of these kids and pretty happy because two of them are going on to the next level (including the boy who was asked about skirts).
So now it's back to more training. That makes me happy because it gives me more of a chance to know them better. And here ends another interesting, yet enjoyable day in the world of English teaching in Mito City, Japan.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Such a cute story! I would have died laughing if one of my kiddos had said that! Unfortunately I missed the interactive forum in Hitachi, but like you I am incredibly proud of my students who participated. Miss you and love you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home