go through the fire

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

100% Okie

I am not the person to forward forwards, but this particular forward deserves some attention. My momma forwarded it to me, and it made me think a lot about my home state of Oklahoma. I was born, raised, and went to 4 different colleges within the Oklahoma City area, and it is a place that I love very much. Most people who move to Oklahoma want to move back to wherever they came from, and even those who have lived there all of their lives want nothing but to get out, but I have always considered it a place that I could live for my whole life. Besides the fact that a lot of my family lives within the OKC area, Oklahoma is also full of really nice people (anybody who says different doesn't know what they are talking about). And perhaps one of the greatest things about Oklahoma is the weather: you've got unbeatable sunrises and sunsets, gorgeous summers, and grrrreeeaaatttt thunderstorms (huge thunderheads, electrifying lightening displays, and terrifying tornadoes).
Without further ado, here is the forward I received this morning and the real reason I am writing this post:
You are 100% Oklahoman if:
1. You can properly pronounce Eufaula, Gotebo, Okemah, and Chickasha.
2. You think that people who complain about the wind in their states are sissies. Yup.
3. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.
To get an idea of how true this is, check out the website of some of my greatest friends at www.stormgasm.com.
4. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
5. You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
6. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the availability of shade.
7. Stores don't have bags, they have sacks. Who calls them sacks?? Weirdos...
8. You see people wear bib overalls at funerals. Never seen it, but I know people who would do it.
9. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.
10. You measure distance in minutes. ("I'm about 5 minutes away.")
11. You refer to the capital of Oklahoma as "The City." It is the only city I knew for most of my life.
12. It doesn't bother you to use an airport named for a man who died in an airplane crash.
Will Roger's Airport...I knew he died in a plane crash, but I never thought how strange it was to name an airport after him until now.
13. Little smokies are something you serve only for special occasions. That's right!
14. You go to the lake because you think it is like going to the ocean. And most of them are man-made.
15. You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.
16. You know cowpies are not made of beef. My brother's would make anyone who didn't know this the butt end of a very bad joke.
17. Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date. Boomer Sooner!
18. You have known someone who has had one belt buckle bigger than your fist. My brother Jon.
19. A bad traffic jam involves two cars staring each other down at a four-way stop, each determined to be the most polite and let the other go first. A very common occurance.
20. You know in which state "Miam-uh" is and in which state "Miam-ee" is.
21. You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.
22. Your "place at the lake" has wheels under it.
23. A Mercedes Benz is not a status symbol. A Ford F350 4x4 is. Amen!
24. You know everything goes better with Ranch. French fries, pizza, mashed potatoes, spaghetti, tacos....
25. You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply. My brother Brandon is a fine example of this.
26. You actually get these jokes and are "fixin" to send them to your friends.... Hence this blog.
27. Finally, you are 100% Oklahoman if you have ever heard this conversation:
"You wanna Coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?" Get that? "Coke" is a general term for any type of carbonated drinks.
"Dr. Pepper." Don't forget to ask an Okie what kind they want.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jessica,
    The other significant airport here is names for a guy who died in the same airplane crash (Wiley Post).
    Bill R

     

Post a Comment

<< Home