go through the fire

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Gotta Love Culture

I like learning about other cultures. They really fascinate me. I consider myself an amateur anthropologist, though it goes no further than a hobby (and it also really comes in handy when you are a missionary, so I’m very thankful that God has made learning about and knowing other cultures a joy to me). So I like to read stuff about other cultures. Since I am in Japan now, I have tried to read anything written in English about Japan that I could get my hands on – books, internet articles, English newspapers in Japan - which give me insights into this very foreign culture.
A couple of months ago, I started a book called The Japanese Mind written by Robert C. Christopher. It was published in 1983, and this man obviously knows what he’s talking about since he has studied Japan’s language, culture, and whatever and since he has lived in Japan. Experiencing Japan for the past year and 8 months, I’d say he knows what he’s talking about. And the book has made me aware of some things I didn’t know and put words to things I knew, but couldn’t formulate words (in my head or vocally) for. The one problem with this is that it has really brought things to the front of my mind that bother me (and almost despise) about Japan. Things that I think a lot of foreigners that live/stay in Japan for an extended period of time really have problems with. I won’t list those things because A.) That’s not the point of this blog and B.) If you are really interested, you can read the book or come to Japan and see for yourself.
The point of this blog is that living in a foreign culture can really suck, especially when there are things about that culture that really go against the grain of what your own culture has taught you to do and to be.
This particular book has helped me to really understand things about this culture and the Japanese people better, but I found that the more I read it, the more frustrated I got about a few things that I just don’t want to accept or even condone. I found myself dwelling on this frustration, sometimes allowing it to go into anger and even worse, discontentment. Reading about and thinking about the negative truths of the Japanese culture in this book, together with less sun, it getting colder, and having a couple of bad culture stress weeks really made me discontent all of the time. Actually, it didn’t make me, I allowed it to have this affect on me.
Don’t worry, the worst most complaining part of this blog is over because I am doing something about this. First, I prayed/am praying more. Second, I stopped reading that book. I think I’ll finish reading it sometime after I leave Japan (maybe like 10 years after I leave Japan). Third, I started reading another culture book – one that takes a more humorous look at Japan and its culture – Dave Barry Does Japan written by none other than Dave Barry. I am happy to say that while Dave Barry spent only three weeks in Japan, never learned Japanese (though he did try to learn a little), never went to school to study about Japan, and he isn’t even an anthropologist, his book was pretty insightful and very funny. I laughed out loud quite often while I was reading that book. And reading that book has helped me to see the humor in the differences between my culture and the Japanese culture – even the differences that frustrate me most. Now instead of getting frustrated or angry, I laugh (usually inside because if I did aloud, they might think I’m laughing at them). Sure there are things about this culture that are just really difficult (I’m not talking about sinful things, though there are those. More like “Why do this?” kind of things). But what’s the point of allowing those things to get in the way of caring, loving, and sometimes simply liking these wonderful, God-created people? Your right, there is not point!
And of course, God is hearing my prayers (praise Him!). I’m not content, but God is listening to my prayers and He is changing my heart (praise Him always!). He is also opening my eyes wider to all of the blessings in my life. Take our Thanksgiving Dinner for example. Just take a look at this picture and see how blessed I am.


Yummy food!