go through the fire

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Clumsy twins

Today, as usual on Tuesday mornings, I taught a kindergarten class full of 18 five to six years olds. I’ve been teaching these kids since I came to Japan, and they have a very special place in my heart.
Well today, for the first time, I noticed that two of my students (or at least one of them) are clumsy. They are twins - Naoki and Masaki - and they are so identical that even their teachers who teach them every single day get them both confused. And they are always dressed identically.
These two boys love to play in their own little worlds, building stuff with tissue boxes and toilet paper rolls and really never paying attention to much else. They are quiet and never much of a hassle.
We played a very typical game today called fruit basket. Each student is given a fruit card and they all sit in a circle. The person in the center says a fruit and whoever has that fruit gets up and tries to sit in another chair so that they aren't the last one. We played this game for about 15 minutes today.
For some reason, near the beginning of the game, I was watching one of the twins and he full on fell right out of his chair! He just shifted a little and plop! - he was on the ground. I had myself a little chuckle until my attention was quickly turned back to the game. Not even a minute later, I saw of the twins running for a chair because his fruit was called and he tripped and fell right in the middle of the circle. I don't know who noticed, but nobody laughed but me. He picked himself up and kept running like nothing happened.
A couple of minutes later, I was watching one of them and again he fell out of his chair, this time knocking his head on the knee of the kid sitting next to him. The kid he hit acted like it was nothing atypical and so did the fallen twin. He picked himself and his chair up and sat back down like nothing happen.
I don't know if this was the same twin I saw fall everytime or if they took turns falling, but everybody certainly acted like it was nothing unusual.
Is that what I look like when I fall all the time?

3 Comments:

  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Becca said…

    I think by now most people are used to you falling all the time but I still find it pretty funny... sorry but I can't help laughing. However, I think this is only because I'm the one who usually does the falling; I find that funny in itself but its even funnier when someone else does it. Love Becca

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That's definitely what you look like! I love when you fall because it just makes my day--only when you laugh too and aren't hurt of course! It just seems so dramatic every time!
    Love ya Babe! I'm gonna miss your smiling face!

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've got some great footage of you falling in the end of the year video. So don't worry, you'll get to see what you look like. Then we can all laugh together!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home